As cannabis becomes used by more members of society, the variety of ways to consume it is increasing to fit more people’s needs. Over the last few years, microdosing cannabis went from being virtually unheard of to a popular method of consumption. Many people praise microdosing, saying the approach allows them to use cannabis in a way that feels safe and provides the most benefit with the fewest side effects.
What is Microdosing?
Microdosing cannabis is exactly what it sounds like. Instead of ingesting a single large dose, you take micro-sized doses repeatedly over a longer period of time. As one doctor says, the purpose of microdosing is to take the minimum effective dose.
To properly microdose, you must be aware of the THC concentration in your cannabis. That way, you can measure out each dose with some accuracy. There are multiple forms of cannabis you can microdose:
- Controlled-dose vape pens
Benefits of Microdosing
Microdosing is most beneficial to people who want to use cannabis primarily for its health benefits rather than for recreational purposes. When you take cannabis in tiny doses, you’re much less likely to experience strong psychoactive effects or a “high.” Instead, you remain level-headed while enjoying the medical benefits you need.
People often use microdosing to treat:
- Sleep problems
- Mood issues
How Do You Microdose?
Microdosing is straight-forward. To begin, you must have cannabis that you know the THC content of and can measure out into small doses.
Here are the steps for microdosing:
- If you use cannabis already, abstain for two days. Taking a break clears your system so you won’t have a tolerance for THC. If you have never used cannabis, you can begin right away.
- Measure out cannabis doses that contain a very small amount of THC, such as 1 or 2 milligrams. Ingest these doses twice a day, morning and night. Take note of how you feel.
- After 2 to 3 days, increase your daily doses by 1 to 2 milligrams. Take note of how you feel.
- If you feel like you could use greater benefit, increase your dose again after 2 to 3 more days. Continue this cycle until you reach the dosage that brings about the effects you desire. During this phase, you may also increase the number of times you ingest cannabis each day if needed.
- If you ever feel like you’ve taken too much cannabis, scale down your dosage to the last amount that felt good.
People who microdose generally consume between 2 and 5 milligrams of THC per dose. Of course, different people prefer different concentrations depending on their size, metabolism, and THC tolerance level. It’s important to pay close attention to your body so you arrive at the dose that’s most optimal for you.
Taking micro-doses of cannabis is an excellent way to receive medical benefits you desire without an unwanted high or side effects. If you’ve never used cannabis before, microdosing can also be a good method for easing into cannabis use and determining the amount of THC your body can comfortably accept.